We spend our lives waiting for God to move His hand, just like how Habakkuk decided to wait on God from the watch tower. But perhaps if we look close enough at the details of our everyday lives, we will already see His handiwork. Miracles, we may call them. This blog is a listing of the things I have asked for, and were given; stuff I have sought, and found; and doors I have knocked upon, and have been opened.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Christian and Freemason

I was a Christian first before I became a Freemason. I spent more than a year in my journey before I finally gained admission to a Lodge of Master Masons. Being a servant of God, I told myself that throughout the process, if I see anything that will run counter to my Christian faith, I will not hesitate to leave Masonry. But all I have seen so far has been consistent with my belief. Masonry is not a religion, but rather a fraternity; but it espouses Biblical principles as it is a brotherhood of men under the fatherhood of God. It requires a belief in a Supreme Being, and in my case I believe in the Lord. An atheist can not become a Freemason.

One will not be saved spiritually by becoming a Mason. But as a Mason, one may decide to embrace a very spiritual life, and if he finds his Christian faith he will be saved. After all, Freemasonry  is rested upon the principles of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth. And through these principles, combined with the other Masonic disciplines taught as a progressive moral science, one will most likely be able to polish his rough edges and become a smooth ashlar. Bricks or stones chiseled properly to gain the right angles will make a strong wall or edifice. Conversely, a brick of the wrong shape will become a source of weakness. All these are relevant to nation-building as well. The wordliness of this place we live in will destroy us if we rely on ourselves alone. Perhaps it is for this reason that The Great Architect of the Universe, the GAOTU of the Freemasons, taught us in the Bible (through Christ) to band together so that we may reinforce or even admonish one other.    


In summary my view is this: for societal relations and nation-building, I turn to Freemasonry. And for my spirituality, I turn to Christianity. Freemasonry is one of the ways we could band together fraternally. It is not the only way, but it is the way I found myself travelling upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment